Welcome GUEST!      CREATE ACCOUNT - Forgot Password?

Create an account to share your experiences and more!

E-MAIL   PASS  

Auto Log-in Future Sessions (on this computer).
Forum Thread A note about the site and any replies from other users.
Porn Users Forum » the future of pornusers...a couple mockups to get your head spinning
1-50 of 102 Posts Page 1 2 3 Next Page >
 
Thread Nav :  Refresh Page  |   First Post  |   Last Post  |   Porn Forum Home

08-17-13  01:35pm - 468 days Original Post - #1
Rick
PornUsers Staff




Posts: 398
Registered: Jan 05, '07
Location: Las Vegas, NV
the future of pornusers...a couple mockups to get your head spinning

An example of a user review...





few quick notes:

-yes, pornusers will be re-branded to pornverdict. merging the two together was going to be extremely challenging. we're re-building this from the ground up, and they'll be great benefits to this. the two sites will co-exist for some time.

-everyone will have to re-register, but pornusers will get a head start and get access to the pre-release version first.

-myporn.com will be the network portal, with social networking components built in. there are 7 sites total within the network.

-don't pay attn to any of the draft text, it was all copied/pasted from who knows where.



The new forum...



-this is a mockup of what you'll see when u log-in at pornforums.com, user forum being the default.

-this forum will co-exist for a little while. eventually pornforums.com will be our new home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll have more to show everyone in the coming weeks... I'll check-in a couple times a day and answer as many questions as I can. Thanks for your feedback! The Best Porn - Ultimate Consumer Guide to Porn
Porn Users - Porn Review by the People
Ranks.com, Inc., Chief/Founder
Edited on Aug 17, 2013, 07:12pm

08-17-13  02:46pm - 467 days #2
jupiter4686 (0)
Active User

Posts: 26
Registered: Aug 12, '13
nice pic

08-17-13  03:45pm - 467 days #3
turboshaft (24)
Active User

Posts: 1,951
Registered: Apr 01, '08
Looks cools...if very different. I like black, but it's about as stark of a visual difference from what we have now; I'm sure some other PU'ers (but not for long!) can elaborate better on what they don't like about the look from these two JPGs. I do like the green and red for pros and cons, as it's pretty obvious what's what without having to put "+" or "-" in those sections. Things look pretty clean and readable overall.

My initial questions:

1.) We will have to re-register, but does that mean we lose everything from PU? Or is it all just brought over to the new Pornforums/Pornverdict? I could probably do with a clean moral slate considering some of the stuff I've posted here over the years...but I doubt others would like to lose all their posts and reviews.

2.) Is this merging with other sites outside Pornusers and TheBestPorn? What are these 7 networked sites exactly? (That you can tell me about without having to kill me afterwards. )


Hope it's going well for you guys though, especially since you have all the work to do. I don't think everyone online appreciates how mind-numbingly insane it can be to create new sites like these, where everything works and still meets the needs of such finicky users. Good luck! "It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hardcore Commie works." - Gen. Jack D. Rippper, Dr. Stranglove

08-17-13  04:37pm - 467 days #4
LPee23 (15)
Active User

Posts: 178
Registered: Jul 14, '13
Location: USA
It looks like this would display nicely on a smartphone or tablet, perhaps maybe it was designed with this in mind? Do many of our users visit the site via smartphone or tablet?

08-17-13  04:39pm - 467 days #5
Rick
PornUsers Staff




Posts: 398
Registered: Jan 05, '07
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Thx for the comments turbo...

1. wanted to point out that jpg is fairly compressed, and the text appears very dark in that photo.

2. unfortunately it does mean everyone starts on a clean slate. there wasn't much we could do to get around this since the changes are so dramatic.

The other sites...

moviepin.com
our take on free porn. 10 minute handpicked clips from pay-sites who choose to partner with us. feels like a high end pay-site, all for free. no ads, no pop-ups.

gallerypin.com
a tgp for 2013. galleries of 8 images also handpicked by our staff. photos deserve love too, and they simply have't received it in years.

pornchoice.com
porn reviews, completely re-designed. a major update to TBP, and will eventually take over.

trustporn.com
brand new trust reports... grading privacy, support, billing, and friendliness. never done before to this extent. both consumers and site owners will value this.

pornbargains.com
deals deals deals... site owners can customize low bargains, u automatically get notified when they occur for your favorite sites.

myporn.com
the network umbrella where you can follow all your favorite sites, and users. think facebook, but instead of following friends your following your favorite porn entities.

The Best Porn - Ultimate Consumer Guide to Porn
Porn Users - Porn Review by the People
Ranks.com, Inc., Chief/Founder

08-17-13  04:42pm - 467 days #6
Rick
PornUsers Staff




Posts: 398
Registered: Jan 05, '07
Location: Las Vegas, NV
mobile platform is a high priority, no doubt. sites will display and function great on tablets, and play well with phones with a custom designed mobile site. The Best Porn - Ultimate Consumer Guide to Porn
Porn Users - Porn Review by the People
Ranks.com, Inc., Chief/Founder

08-17-13  05:10pm - 467 days #7
Capn (28)
Active User



Posts: 1,699
Registered: Sep 05, '09
Location: Near the Beer!
Black background bad.

Not very eye friendly.

Cap'n. Admiral of the PU Hindenburg. 2009 PU Award
Hilarious Post of the Year 2010 PU Award
( I would have preferred it to be Helpful Post of the Year for Guys who Hate 'Retail Therapy' ) :0/
Sanity is in the eye of the Beholder!

08-17-13  05:28pm - 467 days #8
Capn (28)
Active User



Posts: 1,699
Registered: Sep 05, '09
Location: Near the Beer!
Originally Posted by Rick:


Thx for the comments turbo...

1. wanted to point out that jpg is fairly compressed, and the text appears very dark in that photo.

2. unfortunately it does mean everyone starts on a clean slate. there wasn't much we could do to get around this since the changes are so dramatic.



I would have thought it important for continuity alone that some stats were credited to users?

Originally Posted by Rick:


The other sites...

moviepin.com
our take on free porn. 10 minute handpicked clips from pay-sites who choose to partner with us. feels like a high end pay-site, all for free. no ads, no pop-ups.

gallerypin.com
a tgp for 2013. galleries of 8 images also handpicked by our staff. photos deserve love too, and they simply have't received it in years.


I agree photos haven't had the love they deserve in years, but 8 pics per gallery simply will not cut it for any interest from photo pholk!

Originally Posted by Rick:


pornchoice.com
porn reviews, completely re-designed. a major update to TBP, and will eventually take over.

trustporn.com
brand new trust reports... grading privacy, support, billing, and friendliness. never done before to this extent. both consumers and site owners will value this.

pornbargains.com
deals deals deals... site owners can customize low bargains, u automatically get notified when they occur for your favorite sites.

myporn.com
the network umbrella where you can follow all your favorite sites, and users. think facebook, but instead of following friends your following your favorite porn entities.




Gotta see how these flesh out & how well they are supported from both sides of the market.

Cap'n. Admiral of the PU Hindenburg. 2009 PU Award
Hilarious Post of the Year 2010 PU Award
( I would have preferred it to be Helpful Post of the Year for Guys who Hate 'Retail Therapy' ) :0/
Sanity is in the eye of the Beholder!

08-17-13  05:43pm - 467 days #9
TheSquirrel (53)
Active User



Posts: 693
Registered: Oct 29, '08
Location: UK
Positives - Handpicked clips and videos, the trustporn idea, porn bargains, and the myporn facebook idea. More pictures of naked models decorating the place will attract more punters, therefore promote porn and build income. Good for everyone.

Negatives - People like continuity, so starting over again with a clean sheet is bad. I've never liked dark sites, in fact changing the look is not so good for old timers, but maybe good for new members.

Somewhere in the middle - The TBP reviews are near to perfection. The way the information is displayed is going to be hard to beat. You may succeed, but changing it may be disastrous.

Changing the feel and look of PU will possibly lead to old timers leaving, feeling alienated, or contributing less, but may encourage a new generation of active members.

Being closer to some porn sites and promoting them, may help them and help yoursleves, but the impartiality and integrity you had, may disappear. You will now be associated with the porn sites you are promoting, so your views on sites from now on will be coloured by this.

I am tempted to say that change here will not change the finacial situation in the porn industry, however it's possible you may be a leader, and instigate change through innovation. Time will tell.

08-17-13  05:54pm - 467 days #10
Capn (28)
Active User



Posts: 1,699
Registered: Sep 05, '09
Location: Near the Beer!
Gotta say I liked the way it used to be when we had a much more active community.

I accept market forces might dictate change, but a lot of good old stuff might disappear down the plug, ( some of us old users included! )

Cap'n. Admiral of the PU Hindenburg. 2009 PU Award
Hilarious Post of the Year 2010 PU Award
( I would have preferred it to be Helpful Post of the Year for Guys who Hate 'Retail Therapy' ) :0/
Sanity is in the eye of the Beholder!

08-17-13  07:30pm - 467 days #11
Rick
PornUsers Staff




Posts: 398
Registered: Jan 05, '07
Location: Las Vegas, NV
I definitely understand the criticisms and in a perfect world of change, it would be great if everything merged smoothly from the old to the new. In fact, out of the gate everything was designed and branded still under pornusers.com. However as development evolved, so did the reality that a new beginning was necessary. This wasn't just a version update.

We all admit our current sites have become somewhat boring and stale. That's absolutely my fault. No regrets though, I needed a break from the business. I really do hope everyone looks at the new sites as a positive. I value you guys more than anyone, which is why it's important to share these with u first. The Best Porn - Ultimate Consumer Guide to Porn
Porn Users - Porn Review by the People
Ranks.com, Inc., Chief/Founder

08-18-13  04:38am - 467 days #12
Capn (28)
Active User



Posts: 1,699
Registered: Sep 05, '09
Location: Near the Beer!
I just hope you can incorporate some of the feedback you are getting here.

Cap'n. Admiral of the PU Hindenburg. 2009 PU Award
Hilarious Post of the Year 2010 PU Award
( I would have preferred it to be Helpful Post of the Year for Guys who Hate 'Retail Therapy' ) :0/
Sanity is in the eye of the Beholder!

08-18-13  05:21am - 467 days #13
Nasos (2)
Active User

Posts: 19
Registered: Aug 03, '13
Location: Greece
Are the reviews and all the feedback currently on PU gonna be transferred to the new site? English is not my first language but I'm trying my best.

08-18-13  07:56am - 467 days #14
Cybertoad (104)
Active User



Posts: 2,084
Registered: Jan 01, '08
Location: Wash
I'll be honest you may lose me as a customer here.
I again see this whole concept missing the boat. The users who have made the site a success are now being and after thought and in a nice way told to deal with it.

I think that it is missed, that we were all loyal customers that who's participation in the site allowed your freedoms as owners to split and ignore the sites contributors. I have spent thousands supporting this site through ads maybe thats why it puts a thorn in my side to see the oh well process.

I have said it before bad practices and making your customers pay for it is hardly fair, but its your money. It is also my money that I may go elsewhere with.

I have to say that I am very disappointed Rick, and actions speak louder than words in a situation like this. I feel like the guy who worked at the business 20 year and then is told oh hey by the way all that hard work you did, hey thanks but we wont be needing it. I may be alone in my thoughts and I love this site and appreciate the ownership too. But not cool how this has gone down.


Nothing personal, I am also the guy at town hall meetings that stands up and says we need crosswalks to make the streets safer kinda guy. So not attacking the changes, but speaking my mind as a paying loyal customer as to whom really will benefit from such changes.
Gone For Awhile ! Be Safe ! Edited on Aug 18, 2013, 08:00am

08-18-13  08:50am - 467 days #15
Marcus (45)
Active User

Posts: 49
Registered: Dec 31, '11
Location: London
In the spirit of Porn Users...

PROS: It looks very sleek, and the layout seems to be at least familiar with the usual pros, cons etc

CONS: The black background looks nice, but it's not hugely practical on such a text-heavy site. Also, I wonder if it's almost too much? I don't think PU is broken to the point you need to start again. I just think it needs tidying up, a few features adding and making it a bit slicker.

BOTTOM LINE: I think the important thing is that it shouldn't be style over function. I'm not sure how I feel about losing all my reviews, comments, posts on the forum etc, and I'm not the most frequent user of PU. I would hate to see these changes alienate people and for activity to drop off even more.

But it's an exciting time, and you're absolutely right that PU needs a bit of a shake up. It definitely looks more modern and slick, but of course the important stuff is the content and contributors.

Quick questions: Will reviews and comments be copied over onto the new site? So, in theory I can at least have the same username for continuity.

Also, one feature I would love is for notifications when new reviews, comments etc are added to a site I have favourited.

08-18-13  11:05am - 467 days #16
pat362 (371)
Active User



Posts: 2,991
Registered: Jan 23, '07
Location: canada
The overall look reminds me of the Diesel sites. As such I don't have any issue with the look per say and I reserve judgement on pretty much everything else until after I have seen the final product and more importantly used it.

That was the good news but alas I must now state the bad news. First, far be it for me to tell any company trying to eke out a living in todays porn industry so my comments may be way off but I think I have earned enough respect that I should at least be heard. I don't think my words will in any way change what is about to happen but I'll feel better for having said my peace.

Although these changes look quite nice. I can't help but feel that the current state of the industry is such that all that comes to mind when I think about them is of the people in First Class on the Titanic who decide to paint and remodel their apartment at the same time as the ship is slowly sinking. They will look quite beautiful but this isn't going to save those people from drowning.

Hopefully this is not the case and these changes will help increase traffic which in turn will increase the income brought by the extra traffic. If it doesn't then it's not like you can't say that you didn't try. The simple truth is that there are less new sites coming online all the while more of them are going offline. Worse is that some of the ones going offline were established well reviewed sites that were still producing great porn less than two years ago. Sadly this is the reality and I don't yet see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I, like many of the old guard, am pissed that so much of the time and hard work I put into my reviews will disappear with the changes. I actually understand why they could not be brought forth into the new site because the new design is such that the data is incompatible. I suspect that you could always have had someone do the transfer from one site to the next but the time and headaches involve in doing that is such that I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I still look forward to the new sites and hopefully they will herald a positive change in the porn industry. Long live the Brown Coats.

08-18-13  11:14am - 467 days #17
TheSquirrel (53)
Active User



Posts: 693
Registered: Oct 29, '08
Location: UK
It has been a kind of symbiotic relationship. They make money out of our contributions, and we get a place to express ourselves. It isn't without rules or censorship, but even free forums have rules and moderation. We have had the advantage of discounts and a little free money from the raffles.

It is the end of TBP/PU, but this is a business, run by businessmen, and I think we have always understood this. Obviously this place cannot go on without change, and this is the way they have chosen to start anew.

We do not have superior taste to other porn lovers, we are merely males (for the most part) who enjoy looking at females (for the most part, but the gay additions have been welcome), without clothes, posing, having sex, or doing something without clothes. We like porn, and that's all. I am not sure our tastes are typical of most porn lovers, but those who contribute here drive the income. It is no longer a sufficient income given the economic climate.

It has been fun, and I am sad that it's to be the end of PU/TBP, but six years is quite a long time for a forum. Many products feel they have to rebrand or change in some way, to keep up with the rest. Some do it successfully, others do it disastrously.

My gut instinct is the success of the new place will depend on the new generation rather than the old guard, because of the inability to carry over material. I could be wrong, but that's how it looks from this side of the fence.

Personally I'm happy to keep in touch with any old members who want to keep in touch, so if anyone wans to pm me I'll keep in touch with them. Edited on Aug 18, 2013, 11:37am

08-18-13  11:36am - 467 days #18
messmer (137)
Active User



Posts: 2,512
Registered: Sep 12, '07
Location: Canada
Originally Posted by Rick:


I definitely understand the criticisms and in a perfect world of change, it would be great if everything merged smoothly from the old to the new. In fact, out of the gate everything was designed and branded still under pornusers.com. However as development evolved, so did the reality that a new beginning was necessary. This wasn't just a version update.

We all admit our current sites have become somewhat boring and stale. That's absolutely my fault. No regrets though, I needed a break from the business. I really do hope everyone looks at the new sites as a positive. I value you guys more than anyone, which is why it's important to share these with u first.


I only hope you take another good look at the background, Rick. It looks smart and modern but is hell on the eyes for anyone over forty, fifty? I find it very difficult to read. White on black is just bearable, but any other colors (green, red) on black are a horrible eye strain for us old timers. I'm afraid I would have to drop out for that reason but understand that you have to do what you feel you have to do.

08-18-13  01:09pm - 467 days #19
Rick
PornUsers Staff




Posts: 398
Registered: Jan 05, '07
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Definitely tough to read a lot of this because I genuinely do care tremendously.

I have so much to say and explain but I keep finding myself writing something and erasing it. It's overwhelming... but I do understand these reactions.

I'm going to try and figure out a way to import newer reviews, I gotta say right now it's somewhat of a long shot. Reviews get dated fairly quick and the main issue is things get sloppy when u import reviews (whether from PU or TBP) to a new system that works much differently.

PU/TBP has been a great success, but it's life as it exists now is slowly coming to an end. The brand is old, the code is sewn together with millions of different thread, and pages are stale.

There's ways to import some things, and the rest, impossible. I don't want to pretend this is going to be a minor adjustment. We're about 7 years in with PU and almost 10 with TBP. Making upgrades to them now is counter-productive to our future. Evolution has to make a bigger leap at this point.

It's heartbreaking to see a few give up already. Over 1,200 photoshop hours logged on this project, it's exciting to share even a fraction of it.

But I understand where you guys are coming from... I expected these type of questions and concerns. I will think of ways to earn your loyalty as we slowly move into the new digs. The point is to drum up some excitement. I want everyone to look at it as a new home where we'll want to design the interior with up-to-date and exciting new content.

p.s. most people have loved the white on black, but if it is a major issue (I'll preview a web version before we launch), then we'll either have an option to view a white bg or change it entirely. The Best Porn - Ultimate Consumer Guide to Porn
Porn Users - Porn Review by the People
Ranks.com, Inc., Chief/Founder

08-18-13  02:32pm - 466 days #20
Marcus (45)
Active User

Posts: 49
Registered: Dec 31, '11
Location: London
I have to admit I'm a bit surprised to see people doing their goodbye speeches already. At least give it a chance! I'm cautiously optimistic, but it would be nice to see newer reviews get imported. The archived ones I don't mind so much about, but yeah, I'm not sure it's really a statement of intent to relaunch the site without any reviews.

Aesthetically the black background looks really slick, but practically it's not ideal.

But other than that, it looks good, and I'd love to know what the new features are. Notifications for favourited sites would be a huge plus in my opinion.

Don't take criticism personally Rick. Just look at Facebook; everyone moans when they make changes there, but eventually people realise it's for the better.

Hopefully members here will be supportive of changes, but likewise, hopefully you can take contributors' comments on board as much as you can.

08-18-13  02:39pm - 466 days #21
Wittyguy (95)
Active User



Posts: 1,064
Registered: Feb 04, '08
Location: Left Coast, USA
Initial reaction is "too bad" in that everything that has been built up here is going to get flushed. Would be nice if there was a way to link back to the now old PU site once the new version goes live (might be nice to just take the existing forum and put it on a separate sever / cloaked site to be able to link back to as I think most of us PUer's would miss that the most). I would say that you may want to run both the new and the old side by side for a period of time - maybe not allowing new content to be posted on the current Porn Users but giving us time to cut and paste what we feel is important to the new site. Rather than incorporating existing reviews into the new site just allow us to cut and paste reviews and/or comments up to 2 years old.

However, I do agree is time to upgrade the place and knowing a little about code I understand that it's often way easier to just scrap the past and just start fresh. Given that, I would still be paying some attention to rebuilding loyalty with existing customers. By this, let me use "me" as an example. This happens to be my 1000th post in the forum, I got nearly 100 points in reviews, a bunch of trust votes and comments, blah, blah, blah. My point isn't so much that I want to be rewarded right away at the new site but that I'm going to have to rebuild an online reputation years in the making (though that may be a good thing for me ). Quite honestly, I don't have the time or the desire to really want to do that. I don't think there is an easy answer to this point I'm making but I think the success of the new site will in part depend on bringing over a good part of the old guard here at PU in order to maintain all the high standards that everyone talks about in our posts and reviews. The worst of all possible worlds would be losing PU and seeing the new place turn into another corner of the internet filled with morons talking smack.

p.s. - Better have an idea in mind about how to handle user disputes if someone tries to jump on some long time PU users name for the new site.

08-18-13  03:31pm - 466 days #22
Rick
PornUsers Staff




Posts: 398
Registered: Jan 05, '07
Location: Las Vegas, NV
I agree with all of that Witty and Marcus, thx for your input.

Wanted to make sure everyone knows that both sites will run in parallel for a while (in my original post), and keeping PU supported and available indefinitely is of course always an option.

I do agree about the PU username's being reserved, and it's something I'll make sure we do.

Appreciate the suggestions so far. The Best Porn - Ultimate Consumer Guide to Porn
Porn Users - Porn Review by the People
Ranks.com, Inc., Chief/Founder

08-18-13  04:51pm - 466 days #23
turboshaft (24)
Active User

Posts: 1,951
Registered: Apr 01, '08
Originally Posted by TheSquirrel:


It has been a kind of symbiotic relationship. They make money out of our contributions, and we get a place to express ourselves. It isn't without rules or censorship, but even free forums have rules and moderation. We have had the advantage of discounts and a little free money from the raffles.


Honestly I could care less about the discounts and raffles since the members and their contributions to the forum are what keep me returning to this site regularly. I should have paid more attention to the reviews as I inevitably missed something when I eventually decided to join a site and occasionally dug up an older review just to ask a simple question.

But the forum has still been entertaining and amazingly friendly, especially when you consider that anything porn related attracts spammers and haters with the force of a super magnet. Seriously, try and find a 'tube site or any widely read forum or news site without the posts devolving into a bizarre and sad war of who can come up with the most racist or homophobic comment.

And even on the other sites that focus on porn there frequently seem to be serious misogynistic and anger issues afoot, as if the webmasters are all a bunch of Max Hardcore replicants with cocaine addictions. Forums like those too often fulfill the stereotype that porn mainly attracts seriously fucked up viewers who only watch it to see women suffer. PU at least gives me reassurance that many of us just have a healthy and normal view of sexuality and only want to find good porn that's entertaining without having to feed our inner Ted Bundy.

Originally Posted by TheSquirrel:


We do not have superior taste to other porn lovers


We don't?! Now you are making me question my time spent here!

Originally Posted by Wittyguy:


The worst of all possible worlds would be losing PU and seeing the new place turn into another corner of the internet filled with morons talking smack.


As I wrote above, I agree wholeheartedly, and I hope you and the rest stay on and transition to the new site. I don't like that the reviews and especially the forum are being lost (or at least not carried over) but it's not like we won't be able to review sites, comment, and complain as usual in the new forum. It'll just be harder to refer back to old reviews and posts that are here--or were here, depending on what happens to PU when the new site is up and running. "It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hardcore Commie works." - Gen. Jack D. Rippper, Dr. Stranglove

08-18-13  06:22pm - 466 days #24
PinkPanther (46)
Active User



Posts: 879
Registered: Jan 08, '07
Location: Oakland, CA
My thoughts - we got a lot out of the whole thing. I can't think of another site that gave out anything as generous at the raffle as rewards for contributing to the site.

Businesses have to deal with changing realities if they're going to survive. That's life.

I credit Rick and everybody associated with TBP/PU with being straight-forward with us along this whole ride.

That's all I ever expect from anybody.

The mock-up pieces look pretty, Rick - should definitely attract some traffic for that reason alone - and that's a good start.

08-18-13  06:25pm - 466 days #25
rearadmiral (334)
Active User

Posts: 940
Registered: Jul 16, '07
Location: NB/Canada
I like the new look and think it will attract new users. That's obviously not based on anything other than a gut feeling. It just looks more modern that the current look and that alone should help.

While I was initially perturbed that all of us would be starting from scratch again on the ranking board I've re-thought that and now think that this is probably a good idea. Sure, those of us who have written hundreds of reviews will lose that status, but it may mean that newer users will now have more incentive to write more reviews since everyone is now at the same starting place.

The one serious concern I do have and I hope a remedy can be found is for the old reviews. My concerns are both as a reviewer and a reader. As a reviewer, it will be a bit disheartening to see all my past reviews disappear, but I can live with that since I understand that there is no reasonable way to migrate the old format into the new format.

As a reader, my concerns are more serious. I rely on TBP/PU for almost all subscription decisions. If I take an interest in 'Site XYZ' and think about joining but have no way to access the old reviews that say the site is a dud then that will cost me money and cause frustration. I realize the format is stale, but in a lot of cases, probably a vast majority of cases, the information itself is still relevant and valuable. I use old reviews when making decisions though I weigh them differently knowing that some of the facts are likely outdated. Rick, if there is a way to provide a link to the old PU page where that information is, but make it clear that the old pages are no longer being updated, please consider that. At least until the new sites get their feet under them and build a sizable library.

Another possibility that may be worth considering is to keep the PU site up for a specific time, maybe a month, maybe a year, and allow users to migrate their more recent reviews to the new format. Perhaps all reviews in the 12 months prior to the roll-out of the new site would be eligible to be migrated if the reviewer wanted to do that. I'd certainly be willing to do that, and it would build a significant database quickly.

I'll admit that I have no tech skills and what I'm writing about may be impossible, but I can't be the only person who relies on the information on TBP/PU and I'd hate to lose that resource.

I guess to sum up, what I'm saying is that I still want to participate on this site, but one of the driving elements is the fact that we have all contributed and want to know that those contributions are valued and will be valued in the future too. And, the information that exists now is valuable and should be preserved and available or allow members to migrate some of to the newer reviews from the old site to the new site.

Just some thoughts. And I'm looking forward to more teasers.

08-18-13  07:06pm - 466 days #26
TheSquirrel (53)
Active User



Posts: 693
Registered: Oct 29, '08
Location: UK
I wasn't going to say any more, but I am very surprised at Rick's reaction. He does seem to genuinely care. Personally I haven't given up on the new site, it's just I feel the new site will rely more on new, rather than old members, because of the inability to transfer what amounts to the history of PU. I could be very wrong about that.

We are not the pulse of porn. It could be the opposite. Members here could have tastes that are so completely different to what is porn norm, it could be commercial suicide for either website owners, or Rick to listen to them. Maybe it would make more economic sense to listen to our opinions and then do the opposite.

Listening to others is fine, however I do feel you have to listen to your own inner voice and instincts to make decisions, because at the end of the day, each person's future, well being, and economic security, depends on those decisions. Gotta go for it.

08-18-13  07:31pm - 466 days #27
Rick
PornUsers Staff




Posts: 398
Registered: Jan 05, '07
Location: Las Vegas, NV
At the very least, we were always planning on keeping TBP and PU up and running for at least 6 months after myporn.com is public. Some may have misunderstood on that.

Spencer is the only reviewer who has transistioned over to myporn.com (review site: pornchoice) and he's been writing under the new review format for almost 3 months now. Maggie, Vanessa, and Duke will remain at TBP, but we'll probably move one over to help out Spencer soon.

This transistion (as much as it seems wasn't thought through) has been very well thought out. Adjustments can always be made, but pornusers and it's information can remain for years down the road if it's still of use. The Best Porn - Ultimate Consumer Guide to Porn
Porn Users - Porn Review by the People
Ranks.com, Inc., Chief/Founder

08-18-13  10:59pm - 466 days #28
graymane (31)
Active User



Posts: 1,350
Registered: Feb 20, '10
Location: Virginia
Dammed, Rick ......... I think you're on a roll.
Ducks on your pond lookin' calm and Serene on the surface .... but paddling like hell beneath the surface.

08-18-13  11:04pm - 466 days #29
RagingBuddhist (65)
Active User



Posts: 836
Registered: Jan 23, '07
OK... I'll admit that I haven't read every response here so maybe someone else has mentioned what follows.

However reluctantly, I've come to accept that some change is inevitable. The only thing I see that really stinks here is the possibility of losing all of the history of this site. Over the years I've actually spent a lot of time going back over old conversations and old reviews. Losing all of that would suck balls - and not in the happy way.

Arguing with some people is like trying to play chess with a pigeon - it knocks the pieces over, shits all over the board, then flies back to its flock to claim victory. Edited on Aug 18, 2013, 11:09pm

08-18-13  11:42pm - 466 days #30
graymane (31)
Active User



Posts: 1,350
Registered: Feb 20, '10
Location: Virginia
One simply cannot ignore the impact of what our esteemed regular have just brought to our attention.
Kudos are Resoundingly in order to ragingBuddhist for this magnificent contribution.

08-19-13  08:40am - 466 days #31
Cybertoad (104)
Active User



Posts: 2,084
Registered: Jan 01, '08
Location: Wash
Originally Posted by graymane:


One simply cannot ignore the impact of what our esteemed regular have just brought to our attention.
Kudos are Resoundingly in order to ragingBuddhist for this magnificent contribution.


Yep its kinda like going to Walmart and bitchin about them not carrying your favorite cereal anymore.
There gonna do what they want and really nothing will change that. As I said there are two choices stay and try and adjust or move on. I still do not know what I will do. I agree as RB so eloquently said. It Sucks Balls, and yes not in a good way.

Rick just a side note, leaving the site up 6 months won't replace 6 years of input from members. I have to say it is sad the perspective of why some are here is severely being missed. I too go back and look up stuff and search and many renew old information. I Just left a place of employment after 5 years. Gees If you told me to go back and start over I would think one had lost their minds. I feel thats the situation a new site will open and all will be at square one and everything else will be gone DUST IN THE WIND.

Kinda like hey thanks for the memories heres your gold watch now get out LOL.

Side, side note the site looks pretty nice and I can see allot work going into the change. Its not that I am not sympathetic I am, but I put my time in too so not easy not to feel cheated



CT Gone For Awhile ! Be Safe ! Edited on Aug 19, 2013, 08:46am

08-19-13  10:27am - 466 days #32
Rick
PornUsers Staff




Posts: 398
Registered: Jan 05, '07
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Tough crowd... especially when I've stated many times that the existing sites will remain open as long as needed/desired.

"pornusers and it's information can remain for years down the road if it's still of use." The Best Porn - Ultimate Consumer Guide to Porn
Porn Users - Porn Review by the People
Ranks.com, Inc., Chief/Founder

08-19-13  11:03am - 466 days #33
TheSquirrel (53)
Active User



Posts: 693
Registered: Oct 29, '08
Location: UK
Originally Posted by Rick:


Tough crowd... especially when I've stated many times that the existing sites will remain open as long as needed/desired.

"pornusers and it's information can remain for years down the road if it's still of use."


Yep, but what did you expect? PU members take pride in their contributions, so seeing them wiped out wasn't going to go down well with some.

You say you have put lots of thought into this so I presume you are well aware that plenty link from those reviews. The fewer the reviews the fewer the paid links. That means less money. You must have taken this into consideration. Once the new sitea are set up new members will be drawn to the new sites, so will not be using links from PU/TBP.

It sounds like I am being critical, but it is merely my subjective observations, if that isn't an oxymoron. I enjoy sitting on the fence, but have to admit my left buttock was just leaning towards the old members (not a pretty picture). However, my left buttock is now leaning towards you.

The reason is you started this all off and made a success of it, and anyway, it's yours, not ours. We should have a little faith in you not taking decisions lightly. You must have thought about these things, because from the little I know about you from your contributions, you're not an idiot.

We come here on your terms because you own the site. You do not want to alienate old members for financial reasons, but you also surprisingly seem to care about what they think on a personal level. You are possibly in a position of having to gamble or see it all slip away. The choice is obvious, so I wish you well with the new ideas.

If the new sites stay long enough for the old contributions still to be accessed for a while, that's a good compromise. Things change so much old reviews become redundant after a year or two anyway. Yes we will have to put up with a new start and PU/TBP history and references harder to access, and eventually wiped out. Tough desicions have to be made for survival. Edited on Aug 19, 2013, 11:38am

08-19-13  11:34am - 466 days #34
Rick
PornUsers Staff




Posts: 398
Registered: Jan 05, '07
Location: Las Vegas, NV
I appreciate that and I do understand where everyone's coming from. It's only frustrating when people jump to too many conclusions.

Sure It's a business first and the well-being of my staff (there's 12 of us) is the upmost concern. After that my loyalty lies with those who have been loyal to us the most which to me, is the group here. Especially those who have been her since the beginning and contributed dozens of reviews.

I'm here to listen, share, and listen. Some of you are wondering... where u been all these years? Simple answer is, got burnt out! But even when I'm plugged in, Khan has always been my eyes/ears. Fact is, running the business, building designs/concepts requires me to usually stay off message boards entirely. However, we're at a critical transition and it would be dumb to ignore the people that helped get us here. The Best Porn - Ultimate Consumer Guide to Porn
Porn Users - Porn Review by the People
Ranks.com, Inc., Chief/Founder

08-19-13  11:36am - 466 days #35
messmer (137)
Active User



Posts: 2,512
Registered: Sep 12, '07
Location: Canada
Rick, in a way I am looking forward to what the future brings but am afraid that the black background will do me in because, in sites that use a similar scheme (Kink.com etc.) I find it terribly difficult to read their descriptions, especially if they are in red or green. There's no threat of leaving a sinking ship here, just concern that I won't be able to enjoy the new things you have to offer.

08-19-13  11:55am - 466 days #36
Rick
PornUsers Staff




Posts: 398
Registered: Jan 05, '07
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Readability is of extreme importance to me, even tho the dark bg is fundamentally not ideal.

All font is a minimum of 18px, default is 24px font. To compare that with PU/TBP, our current default size is 12px. Our current readability is very poor and that's frustrating. I do think the readibility of everything whether titles, descriptions, or paragraphs will be well presented.

If enough users simply can't do white on black for any reasons, the sites will be setup very efficiently to have a white bg option (css). The reason for the black is how great colors/logos pop-out. The new network is very color based based on the content. Example, movies are blue, photos yellow, reviews purple, etc etc.

Function is and will always be #1 over style. Style is a very very close 2nd tho. The Best Porn - Ultimate Consumer Guide to Porn
Porn Users - Porn Review by the People
Ranks.com, Inc., Chief/Founder

08-19-13  02:08pm - 465 days #37
Capn (28)
Active User



Posts: 1,699
Registered: Sep 05, '09
Location: Near the Beer!
Good to get some more input from you, Rick & it is pleasing to note that this site is going to be 'archived' rather than deleted.

On a personal level I have doubts about my future level of participation; not so much from the perspective of changes hereabouts; but primarily the dearth of regularly updated on topic websites in my niche.

That said I fully intend to be around for the company.

Cap'n. Admiral of the PU Hindenburg. 2009 PU Award
Hilarious Post of the Year 2010 PU Award
( I would have preferred it to be Helpful Post of the Year for Guys who Hate 'Retail Therapy' ) :0/
Sanity is in the eye of the Beholder!

08-19-13  02:41pm - 465 days #38
Marcus (45)
Active User

Posts: 49
Registered: Dec 31, '11
Location: London
Maybe on the new site, on each review there needs to be a link to the corresponding review on PU?

Hopefully existing members here can also help by making sure any reviews and/or comments that are still relevant are copied and pasted onto the new site? I will definitely do my part in making sure this is done with my reviews.

Honestly, I can see both sides of the argument here - the site needs to move with the times, and I guess that goes for as much behind the scenes as the look and what features there are. But I can also see how some people would be sad to see such a comprehensive resource get mothballed.

08-19-13  03:44pm - 465 days #39
Drooler (220)
Active User



Posts: 1,693
Registered: Mar 11, '07
Location: USA
Myporn, huh? Wasn't it the Japanese that got all of this "my this" and "my that" stuff started? And that was some time ago ... years before the Windows OS had "My Computer" on it.

I just checked and I couldn't find myCliche.com

That, I think, is just a bit ironic. How can you "skip" an ad that's already being shown to you?

08-19-13  06:05pm - 465 days #40
rearadmiral (334)
Active User

Posts: 940
Registered: Jul 16, '07
Location: NB/Canada
Originally Posted by Rick:


Tough crowd... especially when I've stated many times that the existing sites will remain open as long as needed/desired.

"pornusers and it's information can remain for years down the road if it's still of use."


Thanks for clarifying that. I (and many others) must have missed that in our panic.

09-05-13  08:22pm - 448 days #41
PinkPanther (46)
Active User



Posts: 879
Registered: Jan 08, '07
Location: Oakland, CA
I have to say that I find this amusing. I was checking the Myporn.com site, just to see what it looks like now and there is a link to Porn Forums. I was wondering where that would lead. #2 under the Porn Users Forum is the Freeones Board - the same board that I was asked by the people who run this site to stop mentioning a few years ago.

That's kind of funny.

09-05-13  10:54pm - 448 days #42
exotics4me (463)
Active User



Posts: 425
Registered: Jan 12, '07
Location: USA
The good news: I can stop wondering if I'll ever get to 500 points. Was starting to think the porn industry decided to stop releasing sites for me to join/review as a conspiracy against me reaching 500.

The bad news: It means it's not a conspiracy and the porn industry is just struggling that much.

The ugly news: We have a community here that is more civil and capable of better criticism than most political forums.

As an old, old timer, I welcome the change. Sure, I'll have to start over on my reviews, but I guess my perspective has been changed a lot over the last year or so with a divorce, new relationship, new marriage. Change, as much as I hate it, hasn't always led to greener pastures for me, but it has almost always rejuvenated me. Hopefully it will do the same for us here.

As a longtime fan of TGP sites it will be nice to have one that doesn't link to another TGP site that links to another and before you know it, you're looking at prescription drugs from Canada.

I may have missed out on some of the recent discussions, but it looks like Rick is going to attempt to bring virus-free, legit sites that are typically full of viruses and scams.

I won't say much about the color scheme so far since it's compressed. I do like anything that is "clean" and not "too busy". I'll be around though. I'm always up for a new challenge. Maybe that free tube site will show me some sites worth joining these days.

Just dropping by about once a week right now, but will pick up once changes start happening. Good to see everyone being themselves. Kind of feels like a family reunion! “You cannot blame porn. When I was young, I used to masturbate to Gilligan's Island.” - Ron Jeremy

09-06-13  02:49pm - 447 days #43
pat362 (371)
Active User



Posts: 2,991
Registered: Jan 23, '07
Location: canada
^I always had high hope that I would catch up to you one of these days but your score was so high that my expectations were pretty low. I dread having to start all over again but not because of the time it will take me to get as high as I currently am but more because there is simply not enough porn being made for me to even be able to come half way to where I am now.

I think this forum is a rare and precious gem but sadly it is also one of the things that is not doing well. We see less and less of our old friends and can't attract new ones. Long live the Brown Coats.

09-07-13  07:13am - 447 days #44
rearadmiral (334)
Active User

Posts: 940
Registered: Jul 16, '07
Location: NB/Canada
Originally Posted by pat362:


I dread having to start all over again but not because of the time it will take me to get as high as I currently am but more because there is simply not enough porn being made for me to even be able to come half way to where I am now.




I agree that it'll be harder to rack up points because, like you, I've become much more fussy about memberships and there are fewer high-quality sites available, but one advantage will be that it might encourage new members to write more reviews. It must be frustrating for new members to see the high points that many of us have and realize that they'd likely never make it into the top ten. Levelling the playing field will have advantages.

09-07-13  09:33am - 447 days #45
Cybertoad (104)
Active User



Posts: 2,084
Registered: Jan 01, '08
Location: Wash
Originally Posted by pat362:


^I always had high hope that I would catch up to you one of these days but your score was so high that my expectations were pretty low. I dread having to start all over again but not because of the time it will take me to get as high as I currently am but more because there is simply not enough porn being made for me to even be able to come half way to where I am now.

I think this forum is a rare and precious gem but sadly it is also one of the things that is not doing well. We see less and less of our old friends and can't attract new ones.


I think its clear most members feel that way if only the powers that be would see it was that important to all of us. Gone For Awhile ! Be Safe !

09-07-13  11:38am - 447 days #46
pat362 (371)
Active User



Posts: 2,991
Registered: Jan 23, '07
Location: canada
Originally Posted by rearadmiral:


I agree that it'll be harder to rack up points because, like you, I've become much more fussy about memberships and there are fewer high-quality sites available,


I'm with you. It really sucks when I avoid sites that I used to join on a regular basis because they either don't have anything I care for or they aren't even updating anymore.

Originally Posted by rearadmiral:


one advantage will be that it might encourage new members to write more reviews. It must be frustrating for new members to see the high points that many of us have and realize that they'd likely never make it into the top ten.


True but don't you get the feeling that the reason we are not seeing many new reviews is not because new members are afraid to post them but because they simply aren't joining those sites through normal channels but going the Tube Site way. That's what I believe. Long live the Brown Coats.

09-07-13  11:53am - 447 days #47
Cybertoad (104)
Active User



Posts: 2,084
Registered: Jan 01, '08
Location: Wash
Originally Posted by pat362:



True but don't you get the feeling that the reason we are not seeing many new reviews is not because new members are afraid to post them but because they simply aren't joining those sites through normal channels but going the Tube Site way. That's what I believe.


I am not personally giving reviews, because it seems almost silly to work hard on a review to have it and the site removed in the near future. I am not joining new sites due to lack of interest in material and this whole site think really put a damper in what was once a fun comradely attitude we had with what others posted and you posted in reviews. I'll be honest I have been entertaining older sites I once belong with whom are still true to plan to involve their members.
But they too are felling the pitch too. But not near as bad as here. Here looks like a ghost town look there goes a tumble weed LOL Gone For Awhile ! Be Safe !

09-07-13  03:00pm - 446 days #48
jberryl69 (12)
Active User



Posts: 1,000
Registered: Nov 27, '10
Location: neverland
I'm not enamored with the defeatist attitude being displayed by our most senior members.

It was you and us (the newly comers) that set the tone of PU today. So I'm unsure why you think we cannot control the tone of the new forums? If we don't who will?

As it stands currently I haven't read an out of date PU review except if it is the ONLY review available. If push comes to shove, it's not impossible to cut and paste (as Wittyguy pointed out) into the new website if the content is current and we feel it's important to us. Not the optimum option but better than none at all.

I am not tone deaf either and like most of you I hate change.

I have to ask this question to those of you that feel like quitting. Where the hell are you going to go? Where the hell are you going to get discounts?

This group of people are some of the brightest porn user minds I've ever seen and giving up is not an option.

As far as the merits of our contributions, I've done some stat checking. There are less than 100 or so people who actively and currently participate on PU. If there is going to be a tracking system in place on the new site with recognition, then I feel like there should be some ability to sort through this list of active people and carry over these numbers. I can't believe the way it's set up now, you can't just populate an Excel sheet and set up a space to receive them. I say this because the stats I've accessed (see my post http://www.pornusers.com/forum/forum_thread.html?threadid=3534) had sortable headers so I know that info is in a data base.

Rick, there are three things that are rubbing the members a bit raw - Loss of current reviews, merits of their contributions and color. I have no comment about color, but the first two seems like it could be addressable. Hope you find a way to make it happen. If it ain't grits, it must be a Yankee.

If you're going to lay her head over the pool table and fuck her throat, get your fucking hand off her throat!

09-08-13  12:56am - 446 days #49
Rick
PornUsers Staff




Posts: 398
Registered: Jan 05, '07
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Update...

It's the time of the project where I've pulled out half my half-asian hair and the result are these tiny hairs stuck in between the keys of my keyboard. All public page mockups are complete and now I'm finishing up site management pages for site reps, and back-end admin pages for staff. It's like building a mini OS... the way one module is developed directly affects a dozen others. The only way to get right is by doin it wrong multiple times. Patience and persistence.

But anyway, I noticed a few posts so thought I'd follow up. I'm 100% confident we're moving in the right direction. The only real issue is there's no way to snap my fingers, wiggle my nose, or jump into doc's flux capatitating delorian that'll instantly shoot us all into the future.

There will be more mockups to show soon. The feedback I've gotten has been helpful. We should all have those type of concerns and questions. It shows there's still care and that's important. We're a small niche community with similar interests. Everything I've learned from you guys I'm applying to the new digs. More to come soon. The Best Porn - Ultimate Consumer Guide to Porn
Porn Users - Porn Review by the People
Ranks.com, Inc., Chief/Founder

09-08-13  03:14am - 446 days #50
Capn (28)
Active User



Posts: 1,699
Registered: Sep 05, '09
Location: Near the Beer!
Nice to hear you are actively working on it!

Cap'n. Admiral of the PU Hindenburg. 2009 PU Award
Hilarious Post of the Year 2010 PU Award
( I would have preferred it to be Helpful Post of the Year for Guys who Hate 'Retail Therapy' ) :0/
Sanity is in the eye of the Beholder!

1-50 of 102 Posts Page 1 2 3 Next Page >
 
Thread Nav :  Refresh Page  |   First Post  |   Last Post  |   Porn Forum Home


Home - Sites - Users - Reviews - Comments - Categories - Forum

Contact Us - Announcements - FAQ's - Terms & Rules - Porn Review - Webmasters

Protecting Minors
We are strong supporters of RTA and ICRA, two of the most recognized self labeling organizations. Our site is properly labeled to assist in the protection of minors accessing inappopriate content. For information about filtering tools, check this site.

DISCLAIMER: ALL MODELS APPEARING ON THIS WEBSITE ARE 18 YEARS OR OLDER.

To report child pornography, go directly to ASACP!  We're proud to be a corporate sponsor.
Have concerns or questions about porn addiction?  We recommend this helpful resource.

Copyright © 2007 Ranks.com, Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.


Loaded in 0.06 seconds.