Welcome GUEST!      CREATE ACCOUNT - Forgot Password?

Create an account to share your experiences and more!

E-MAIL   PASS  

Auto Log-in Future Sessions (on this computer).
Forum Thread A note about the site and any replies from other users.
Porn Users Forum » External Hard Drive Recovery
1-46 of 46 Posts Page 1
 
Thread Nav :  Refresh Page  |   First Post  |   Last Post  |   Porn Forum Home

09-10-08  10:45am - 2201 days Original Post - #1
The Clyde (26)
Active User



Posts: 31
Registered: Jun 21, '07
Location: Michigan
External Hard Drive Recovery

I have an external hard drive that has decided to not work. It contains two 500GB drives that have been formated to show as as one unit or 1 TB.

I have discovered the drive that is bad, but would like to recover the data from the other drive. I pluged the working drive into a new enclosure and it is recognized but is not assigned a drive letter.

I go into manage in my computer and then into the Disk Managment section. The Disk shows as Unallocated and NOt Intialized.

Can anyone tell me how to have the disk recognized and recover the data on the disc? Kinky | Inky | Pinky | Stinky

<><><> Give em to me Hotter than Fire <><><>

09-10-08  10:50am - 2201 days #2
ByteMaster (0)
Active User

Posts: 52
Registered: Jun 09, '08
Location: United Kingdom
Hi, clyde can you tell me how you formatted the external drive?

(fingers crossed you WONT say spanned volume. i.e. two (or more drives) with a single driver letter)

09-10-08  10:52am - 2201 days #3
Cybertoad (104)
Active User



Posts: 2,041
Registered: Jan 01, '08
Location: Wash
Have you checked out "Start - Administrative Tools - Computer Management
- Storage - Disk Management"?

Right click the drive and there should be the initalize
to make it work.
It wont show up in the list until you do this.

( ps ya hope you didnt do a span)


Cybertoad

09-10-08  11:09am - 2201 days #4
badandy400 (103)
Active User



Posts: 840
Registered: Mar 02, '08
Location: ohio
Even if you have used a spanned drive or a RAID set of some sort you can get the data off. A spanned drive is pretty easy actually, where as a striped raid set and others can be a little more difficult. I have been using a program called file scavenger and it works pretty good. It can grab off of drives that where in various different raid formats and spanned volumes.

If you used a spanned volume, which I suspect you have, just initialize the drive and use the file scavenger. Even if you reformatted the drive you will be okay, it still works just fine.

Two very important facts you need to know.

1. You will need at least a 500 GB drive to recover the data. This would be assuming you recover one drive at a time then use that drive to recover the other. It does not simply make the data reappear. It reads it and writes it somewhere else. If you did any deleting of data on that volume before if crapped on you I would suggest have more than 500 GB of free space for recovery, assuming it was a full drive. It will likely end up recovering some data that was previously deleted and thus take up more than 500 GB. Now this deleted stuff may or may not be usable, but it will still see it.

2. DO NOT WRITE A DAMN THING ON THESE DRIVES UNTIL YOU RECOVER THEM. If you write anything on them before recovery you are pissing away any chance of recovering your data without spending big money. Right now it is all still there, it just may need to be pieced together. Any sectors you write on now will not be easily recoverable.

Good luck with this. I know how frustrating it can be. But if the data is important to you ($500 porn collection) then pay for file scavenger, get your stuff back, and have the piece of mind that you can recover data when you need to. "For example, badandy400 has taken it upon himself to become the one man Library of Congress for porn with a collection that surely will be in Guinness Book of World Records some day." ~Toadsith~

PU Interview

09-12-08  03:18am - 2199 days #5
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
While on this ext drive topic, just how much of a drive's listed capacity can you use before it starts giving you bells and whistles (as in "enough already")? Just for external...not the boot drive.

09-13-08  01:43pm - 2198 days #6
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
While on topic, getting ready to buy ext HD of at least 200GB. System is XP Pro SP3. Will I need to worry about "setting up" drive to receive data, or will it just plug and play?

09-13-08  02:28pm - 2198 days #7
mr smut (42)
Active User



Posts: 107
Registered: Dec 27, '07
Location: Germany
Originally Posted by shooterbo:


While on topic, getting ready to buy ext HD of at least 200GB. System is XP Pro SP3. Will I need to worry about "setting up" drive to receive data, or will it just plug and play?

Guess you are speaking about an external drive with USB 2.0 connection? If the PC is not older than 5 years it should be simple plug and play. I'd only suggest to format the drive to use the NTFS file system because I wouldn't trust a (V)FAT device.

"For most purposes, the NTFS file system that was developed for the Windows NT line is superior to FAT from the points of view of efficiency, performance, and reliability; its main drawbacks are the size overhead for small volumes and the very limited support by anything other than the NT-based versions of Windows"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vfat#Future see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

My PC is about 3 years old and I have 4 external drives connected via USB that I use as backup devices.

Oh, and don't turn the drive on all time because external drives tend to overheat if they run all time. Edited on Sep 13, 2008, 03:01pm

09-13-08  02:55pm - 2198 days #8
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
I guess "format the drive" is what I meant by "setting up". What all is involved with doing that, or perhaps you have a link that can tell me how? Thanks again.

09-13-08  03:08pm - 2198 days #9
mr smut (42)
Active User



Posts: 107
Registered: Dec 27, '07
Location: Germany
Originally Posted by shooterbo:


I guess "format the drive" is what I meant by "setting up". What all is involved with doing that, or perhaps you have a link that can tell me how? Thanks again.

O.k. after having attached the drive to your PC via USB and to the power supply you should see it in the Windows Explorer as a new drive.

Right-click onto the drive letter in the folder view on the left side of the explorer and in the pop-up you should see an entry named "Format..." (at least that's what appears in the German version of XP as "Formatieren..."). Use NFTS as file system and don't use the option to fast format the drive. Depending on the size of the external drive this can take 30 or even more minutes but it's worth the wait because afterwards you can be quite sure that the drive is not faulty shortly after you bought it.

As you can see this is quite easy to achieve. I'd suggest to go for 500GB at least because this size should offer the best ratio of price and size/performance.

Hope this help!

Cheers,
Smut

09-17-08  07:50am - 2194 days #10
The Clyde (26)
Active User



Posts: 31
Registered: Jun 21, '07
Location: Michigan
Thanks for the advice fellas! The drives were spanned, two 500gb to equal a TB.

I will be starting this project today. Kinky | Inky | Pinky | Stinky

<><><> Give em to me Hotter than Fire <><><>

09-17-08  09:21am - 2194 days #11
badandy400 (103)
Active User



Posts: 840
Registered: Mar 02, '08
Location: ohio
Do you have any drives that are known to be empty or at least have a good bit of space on them? Also, how much of the TB were you using at the time?

Keep in mind that once you format the drive you will have no choice but to use some sort of recovery program. The data will not just magically be there once you reformat the drives. "For example, badandy400 has taken it upon himself to become the one man Library of Congress for porn with a collection that surely will be in Guinness Book of World Records some day." ~Toadsith~

PU Interview

09-17-08  01:55pm - 2194 days #12
Wittyguy (95)
Active User



Posts: 1,058
Registered: Feb 04, '08
Location: Left Coast, USA
Originally Posted by shooterbo:


While on this ext drive topic, just how much of a drive's listed capacity can you use before it starts giving you bells and whistles (as in "enough already")? Just for external...not the boot drive.


I'm no expert from what I have read on other sites is that you can fill it up more than a regular hard drive (should always have about 25% free at least so that you can defrag and do other housekeeping operations) but should always leave a few percent open on an external.

09-18-08  08:53am - 2193 days #13
The Clyde (26)
Active User



Posts: 31
Registered: Jun 21, '07
Location: Michigan
Originally Posted by badandy400:


Do you have any drives that are known to be empty or at least have a good bit of space on them? Also, how much of the TB were you using at the time?

Keep in mind that once you format the drive you will have no choice but to use some sort of recovery program. The data will not just magically be there once you reformat the drives.


The OS won't even recognize either drive. They both spin, one clicks (most likely the arm is broken). I'm afraid that this is lost cause. Had archives from VideoBox, 3rd Movies, American Vice and New Sensations. Most are replacable. THe American Vice site is a pain in the ass to download. Kinky | Inky | Pinky | Stinky

<><><> Give em to me Hotter than Fire <><><>

09-18-08  10:20am - 2193 days #14
badandy400 (103)
Active User



Posts: 840
Registered: Mar 02, '08
Location: ohio
Gotcha. Well, go ahead and try to recover the one that seems to work. The other one may be recoverable to some extent. Save your self the trouble and get File Scavenger or some other decent recovery software and at least recover the good drive. If you have to go ahead a reformat the drive just do not write anything to it. Recover it so another drive and then attempt to recover the other. It will take several hours. You may need to use a "defunct volume search" which takes a while, but if you simply used it as archive you will only need to run it for a few minutes. It will find everything right way, but want to continue searching. If stuff was not moved around, on and off the drive, then it will not find anything else during the continued search.

Since you are using it for larger file sizes if you want file scavenger you will actually have to pay the $50 for the program. I would thing recovering your collection would be worth the $50 considering a membership to a site might be $20-30 a month for each of the sites plus the time it would take to actually redownload all that!

Oh yes, who made the drives? I sent a 500 GB to Seagate a few months ago and they sent back a 750. Not a bad deal.

Anyway, good luck with that all. "For example, badandy400 has taken it upon himself to become the one man Library of Congress for porn with a collection that surely will be in Guinness Book of World Records some day." ~Toadsith~

PU Interview

11-16-08  04:20am - 2134 days #15
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
120 GB external quite working this morning. About 95% full. Message on screen states that:

"USB device not recognized. Has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it." I tried all of their suggestions, to no avail. It does not even appear anymore, at all, in My Computer; not even as something "unrecognizable". All connections are good. Nothing backed up.

Help!!

11-16-08  09:18am - 2134 days #16
Cybertoad (104)
Active User



Posts: 2,041
Registered: Jan 01, '08
Location: Wash
Originally Posted by shooterbo:


120 GB external quite working this morning. About 95% full. Message on screen states that:

"USB device not recognized. Has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it." I tried all of their suggestions, to no avail. It does not even appear anymore, at all, in My Computer; not even as something "unrecognizable". All connections are good. Nothing backed up.

Help!!



Need more details whaa kind of drive, what external unit is it generic ? Could be a many things what your os and how many driver do you have mobo etc.

11-16-08  10:04am - 2134 days #17
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
Originally Posted by Cybertoad:


Need more details whaa kind of drive, what external unit is it generic ? Could be a many things what your os and how many driver do you have mobo etc.

Type drive is generic. OS is XP Pro 3. 3 internal drives all OK. What is "mobo"?
Ext. drive (except for the beforementioned warning) appears nowhere else on system today, almost like somebody "stole it". Could it be "blocked out" somehow? I turn it on manually, light goes on. You can hear it "crank up", etc.....just like always.

11-16-08  12:38pm - 2134 days #18
Toadsith (48)
Active User



Posts: 811
Registered: Dec 07, '07
Location: Ogdensburg, NY USA
Originally Posted by shooterbo:


Type drive is generic. OS is XP Pro 3. 3 internal drives all OK. What is "mobo"?
Ext. drive (except for the beforementioned warning) appears nowhere else on system today, almost like somebody "stole it". Could it be "blocked out" somehow? I turn it on manually, light goes on. You can hear it "crank up", etc.....just like always.


"Mobo" is slang for Motherboard, have you tried connecting the drive to a different computer or simply to different USB ports on your computer? For example, the back panel USB ports run on a different USB Header than the ones on the front of your case (assuming your case has front USB ports). Your other option is you could open up your external and connect it directly to the motherboard - running it as a normal internal just to make sure all your data is alive and well. "I'm not a number, I'm a free man!" Updated Link with Live Video filmed in Copenhagen in 1967 !

Second Grand Order Poobah in the Loyal Order of the Water Buffalo

11-16-08  02:04pm - 2134 days #19
Cybertoad (104)
Active User



Posts: 2,041
Registered: Jan 01, '08
Location: Wash
Originally Posted by Toadsith:


"Mobo" is slang for Motherboard, have you tried connecting the drive to a different computer or simply to different USB ports on your computer? For example, the back panel USB ports run on a different USB Header than the ones on the front of your case (assuming your case has front USB ports). Your other option is you could open up your external and connect it directly to the motherboard - running it as a normal internal just to make sure all your data is alive and well.


I am also wondering if your USB drivers went hookey?
You may want to try removing the usb port in device drivers and try rebooting?
That will remove any registry issues that may have a particular usb port system locked, ( rare ) but I ave had to do this in the past to get a usb to take a look.

11-16-08  03:14pm - 2134 days #20
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
Originally Posted by Toadsith:


"Mobo" is slang for Motherboard, have you tried connecting the drive to a different computer or simply to different USB ports on your computer? For example, the back panel USB ports run on a different USB Header than the ones on the front of your case (assuming your case has front USB ports). Your other option is you could open up your external and connect it directly to the motherboard - running it as a normal internal just to make sure all your data is alive and well.

Toadsith, same reaction received when I used front ports. And am not comfortable with second suggestion. Too much of a novice. No access to second pc either.

11-16-08  03:16pm - 2134 days #21
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
Originally Posted by Cybertoad:


I am also wondering if your USB drivers went hookey?
You may want to try removing the usb port in device drivers and try rebooting?
That will remove any registry issues that may have a particular usb port system locked, ( rare ) but I ave had to do this in the past to get a usb to take a look.
Cybertoad....can you descibe in more detail suggestion about "removing the usb port in device drivers"? Would that not involve the other drives that are working OK?

11-16-08  10:07pm - 2133 days #22
Cybertoad (104)
Active User



Posts: 2,041
Registered: Jan 01, '08
Location: Wash
Originally Posted by shooterbo:


Cybertoad....can you descibe in more detail suggestion about "removing the usb port in device drivers"? Would that not involve the other drives that are working OK?


Umm do you have other external harddrives that are usb?

11-17-08  12:59am - 2133 days #23
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
Originally Posted by Cybertoad:


Umm do you have other external harddrives that are usb?

No, the one that is "missing" is my only external. Other 3 are internal.

11-17-08  08:33am - 2133 days #24
Cybertoad (104)
Active User



Posts: 2,041
Registered: Jan 01, '08
Location: Wash
Originally Posted by shooterbo:


No, the one that is "missing" is my only external. Other 3 are internal.


Ok to remove a windows device driver the fastest way is to:
* Click Start, Run, then type devmgmt.msc (or start devmgmt.msc)
OR
* From the command prompt type devmgmt.msc (or start devmgmt.msc)
OR
* From the system properties select the hardware tab and click device manager. ok?

Now look on there for a USB hub?
there should be a tree of stuff look for a USB hub ok?


Now right click where it says unistall .


Note, you may have to manually reboot your PC if you have a USB mouse or keyboard .

Press unistall reboot?
Try this with each usb port.

See it re-installing the port helps?


Cybertoad

11-17-08  09:40am - 2133 days #25
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
Perhaps this will help. Using the Device Manager troubleshooting program, the net result was "No drivers are installed for this device." What does that mean? It had been working fine since July.

11-17-08  02:10pm - 2133 days #26
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
Originally Posted by Cybertoad:


Have you checked out "Start - Administrative Tools - Computer Management
- Storage - Disk Management"?

Right click the drive and there should be the initalize
to make it work.
It wont show up in the list until you do this.

( ps ya hope you didnt do a span)


Cybertoad


Cybertoad....I caught this comment of yours in an earlier response to this thread. My drive in question appears nowhere in the Computer Management window for a person to initialize. It only shows my 3 internals. Does that signify that my pc is the culprit, or that the ext. drive is dead?

11-17-08  02:35pm - 2133 days #27
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
No.....this exercise did no good. Prompt still says driver missing or not working. I guess that means the hard drive crashed?

11-17-08  02:36pm - 2133 days #28
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
Originally Posted by Cybertoad:


Ok to remove a windows device driver the fastest way is to:
* Click Start, Run, then type devmgmt.msc (or start devmgmt.msc)
OR
* From the command prompt type devmgmt.msc (or start devmgmt.msc)
OR
* From the system properties select the hardware tab and click device manager. ok?

Now look on there for a USB hub?
there should be a tree of stuff look for a USB hub ok?


Now right click where it says unistall .


Note, you may have to manually reboot your PC if you have a USB mouse or keyboard .

Press unistall reboot?
Try this with each usb port.

See it re-installing the port helps?


Cybertoad

Didnt work.

11-17-08  02:54pm - 2133 days #29
Toadsith (48)
Active User



Posts: 811
Registered: Dec 07, '07
Location: Ogdensburg, NY USA
I'd say your options are down to sending it to a hard drive recovery joint - which probably isn't worth the money, or trying to connect the hard drive directly.

I know you are worried about this but it really isn't hard to do. Assuming the drive is SATA, which is likely if it has been purchased within the past year, you just need to turn off your rig, plug in two cables and boot it up again. Easiest would probably be to just unplug the power and data cables from one of your internals. Of course try not to unplug the internal that houses the OS. It won't hurt anything but the computer surely won't boot. "I'm not a number, I'm a free man!" Updated Link with Live Video filmed in Copenhagen in 1967 !

Second Grand Order Poobah in the Loyal Order of the Water Buffalo

11-17-08  03:09pm - 2133 days #30
badandy400 (103)
Active User



Posts: 840
Registered: Mar 02, '08
Location: ohio
Or do as I suggested a few months ago and use a recovery program yourself. If you want to send it to a hard drive recovery center you had better be sitting down when they tell you the price. It frequently runs up to $2,000 per drive. The drive that makes the "clicking" noise would need this done, but I doubt the contents of the drive warrant this. Plus, they take you money and offer absolutely no promise that you will get any data whatsoever. If the platters are not damaged they would be able to recover everything, but they could be heavily scratched.

I would chalk that drive off as a total loss. if you take the top off it makes a great decorative item for your computer area. :)

The other drive needs to be recovered. Messing with the USB settings would never do you any good because the system is pissed off since it can not see the second drive of the set.

Plugging it directly into your computer will work only if the problem was the controller in the dual enclosure. I would suspect you will not have much luck doing that either. However, do not be discouraged because plugging it into your motherboard is a necessary step to recovery anyway.

You will need to plug in the drive and boot up as usual. You should be able to see the drive in the Devise Manager...simply right click "My Computer" and click "Manage" assuming you have a "my computer" icon...otherwise you can get there through the control panel. Go to "Disk Management" and you should be able to see a drive there that does not show up under "My Computer" that will be the one. If you can get that far you will be able to run a recovery program on the drive.

Just as a note, if you are using a RAID controller to plug in this hard drive to your computer you may have to initialize in that portion of the bios or somewhere along the line during boot up.

I know this can sound a bit complicated, but it does work. I have done this repeatedly. "For example, badandy400 has taken it upon himself to become the one man Library of Congress for porn with a collection that surely will be in Guinness Book of World Records some day." ~Toadsith~

PU Interview

11-17-08  03:22pm - 2133 days #31
The Clyde (26)
Active User



Posts: 31
Registered: Jun 21, '07
Location: Michigan
These external units seem to overheat quite a bit. The controller card inside of the external device quits working and is the problem. If this is a single drive, you can purchase another external drive unit without a hard drive. Most of the time you can buy one for about $30.00. It is easy to remove the one drive and put it in the new unit.

Simply connect it to the PC once installed and this should tell you if it is the drive.

The real problem is when you span two hard drives, that is what happened to me. I don't believe that this is your issue.

My first step would be to purchase a different external case and try the drive in there. Kinky | Inky | Pinky | Stinky

<><><> Give em to me Hotter than Fire <><><>

11-17-08  05:10pm - 2132 days #32
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
Originally Posted by clyde:


These external units seem to overheat quite a bit. The controller card inside of the external device quits working and is the problem. If this is a single drive, you can purchase another external drive unit without a hard drive. Most of the time you can buy one for about $30.00. It is easy to remove the one drive and put it in the new unit.

Simply connect it to the PC once installed and this should tell you if it is the drive.

The real problem is when you span two hard drives, that is what happened to me. I don't believe that this is your issue.

My first step would be to purchase a different external case and try the drive in there.

Clyde...I have seen just "cases" for sale. Didnt realize they contained something, beyond just being a steel case of sorts. I suspect it might be burned out, since quite often I would forget to turn it off over night. That sounds like what I might do. Thanks everybody. Its been real!!! I am just sick when I think of what I will lose on that drive. Didnt somebody mention a recovery program you can download awhile back, and just copy to a new drive somehow?

11-17-08  07:48pm - 2132 days #33
badandy400 (103)
Active User



Posts: 840
Registered: Mar 02, '08
Location: ohio
Yes. I have used File Scavenger on several occasions with good success. It will allow you to recover everything on the drive that is still mechanically working.

This program can piece together files without having access to the file index. Since you used a spanned volume all the data for the files is stored on that specific drive is completely stored on that drive....except for possibly a small amount that could have spanned between the drives. You may lose a video or two. Just hope the drive that still works is the fullest of the two.

Below is a link to a recommended software. Of course you can use whatever you would like. It is $50, but well worth it. You will also need hard drive of a large capacity than the drive you are recovering. It is possible to recover 500 GB from a 320 GB drive. So get a 750 off ebay and have the ill drive recover to is. Then reformat the ill drive and use it as another drive

http://www.download.com/File-Scavenger-D...&cdlPid=10840246

What Clyde is suggesting would be appropriate if it was in fact the controller in your enclosure that failed. If this were the case, you would need to buy an identical system and swap the part and it would be able to recognize the volume, but since you have a disk failure this will do you no good.

Good luck "For example, badandy400 has taken it upon himself to become the one man Library of Congress for porn with a collection that surely will be in Guinness Book of World Records some day." ~Toadsith~

PU Interview

11-19-08  03:55am - 2131 days #34
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
Update....all roads lead to "No drivers are installed for this device". I have installed software from disc that came with drive....and everything else to eliminate that feedback, but to no avail. My pc continues to call it an "unknown device". I keep thinking there is really nothing wrong with the drive, and that something in the pc won't allow it to connect. I have used Microsoft driver update feature, device troubleshoot feature, etc. Nothing.
If anyone else has ever had this problem.....speak. I suspect that just about all of us have external drives.

11-19-08  10:12am - 2131 days #35
badandy400 (103)
Active User



Posts: 840
Registered: Mar 02, '08
Location: ohio
As has been said, you will need to remove the hard drive from the enclosure to begin any recovery process. It simply is not going to work, I suspect, because the other drive is not present. "For example, badandy400 has taken it upon himself to become the one man Library of Congress for porn with a collection that surely will be in Guinness Book of World Records some day." ~Toadsith~

PU Interview

11-21-08  12:57am - 2129 days #36
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
One last shot.....then I will drop the subject. I read in another forum someone had the same problem, and solved it by "twisting" on the power cord which apparently was not making a good connection at the drive.
This morning, I had left the drive "on" all night by accident. Guess what, it was only luke warm, not hot as it was when working OK. I wish I had another power converter cord to check it out. Perhaps it is not getting the correct voltage to operate correctly.
Stubborn, am I not?

11-21-08  12:38pm - 2129 days #37
badandy400 (103)
Active User



Posts: 840
Registered: Mar 02, '08
Location: ohio
Just hopeful for something to work that will not. It was probably only warm because the drive not in use. If it has no power it will be cold. If it has a bad power connection you would be able to hear the drive stalling.

You really need to take the drive out of the enclosure.

Your options have been laid out pretty clearly for you. You seem to be doing anything to beat around the bush of doing what actually needs to be done. This is likely because you have never done this before and are worried about not knowing what to do. I highly doubt you will find the quick, easy, magic solution you are looking for. You will have to do a little work here.

I have likely spent more time typing in this thread that it would take to actually set the drive up and begin the recovery. "For example, badandy400 has taken it upon himself to become the one man Library of Congress for porn with a collection that surely will be in Guinness Book of World Records some day." ~Toadsith~

PU Interview

11-28-08  06:57am - 2122 days #38
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
Hard drive situation resolved. It was an "extremely difficult" technical fix....(yeah right) As soon as someone guesses correctly what the problem was, I will respond.

11-28-08  06:59am - 2122 days #39
Khan
PornUsers Staff




Posts: 1,617
Registered: Jan 05, '07
Location: USA
I'm guessing a bad USBII cable Senior Administrator
PornUsers.com

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world."-R. D. Lang

11-29-08  02:05pm - 2121 days #40
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
Wrong Kahn....any more takers? Going once, going twice.....

11-30-08  02:24am - 2120 days #41
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
THUS, the answer:

2 days ago...quite by accident, the power to the entire system was turned off from the power strip coming out of the wall. I powered everything back up, and....and.....and.....YES! External drive was now recognized!! Talk about "shocked"!!!!
During the weeks of failure, the drive was connected and reconnected, plugged and unplugged several times.....BUT, the pc it is attached to of course...NEVER had power interrupted. I guess all it took was a "jolt" to recover. Go figure.

11-30-08  10:52am - 2120 days #42
Cybertoad (104)
Active User



Posts: 2,041
Registered: Jan 01, '08
Location: Wash
Originally Posted by shooterbo:


THUS, the answer:

2 days ago...quite by accident, the power to the entire system was turned off from the power strip coming out of the wall. I powered everything back up, and....and.....and.....YES! External drive was now recognized!! Talk about "shocked"!!!!
During the weeks of failure, the drive was connected and reconnected, plugged and unplugged several times.....BUT, the pc it is attached to of course...NEVER had power interrupted. I guess all it took was a "jolt" to recover. Go figure.



actually lol, it needed to reset the usb drivers umm thought that was sugested ??? oh well atleast it worked.

11-30-08  05:19pm - 2119 days #43
badandy400 (103)
Active User



Posts: 840
Registered: Mar 02, '08
Location: ohio
HAHA. That is the funniest thing I have heard all day!

I am glad it is working for you though. But can I ask how you did not notice is was not making any noise when you turned it on? After all, I have never had one of my hard drives make any noise when it was off...well except for falling on the floor and scaring me half to death. "For example, badandy400 has taken it upon himself to become the one man Library of Congress for porn with a collection that surely will be in Guinness Book of World Records some day." ~Toadsith~

PU Interview

12-01-08  11:19am - 2119 days #44
shooterbo (6)
Active User



Posts: 185
Registered: Apr 25, '07
Originally Posted by badandy400:


HAHA. That is the funniest thing I have heard all day!

I am glad it is working for you though. But can I ask how you did not notice is was not making any noise when you turned it on? After all, I have never had one of my hard drives make any noise when it was off...well except for falling on the floor and scaring me half to death.

No, there was always power to the drive....that's wasnt the problem. And yes, it made noise when flipped on and was quiet when shutoff. The problem was the system quit recognizing that drive......for whatever reason, but then it finally did recognize it, ONLY when I accidentally cut power to the pc(and everything else by the way) it was servicing a week or so later. I had already unplugged the power (and replaced USB cable) to the drive many times before that, but none of that helped.
Anyway, thanks everyone for your help and patience.

12-01-08  11:54am - 2119 days #45
Khan
PornUsers Staff




Posts: 1,617
Registered: Jan 05, '07
Location: USA
For future reference, whenever you have ANY kind of problem, one of the first things to try is a full reboot. You'd be amazed how often that will resolve a problem. Senior Administrator
PornUsers.com

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world."-R. D. Lang

12-01-08  02:25pm - 2119 days #46
badandy400 (103)
Active User



Posts: 840
Registered: Mar 02, '08
Location: ohio
I see.

So often we overlook the simplest solution. This method of fixing problems really does work for just about everything. I have found that my computer needs a chance to shutdown and reboot every now and then as well.....I just hate to let those precious download seconds escape! :) "For example, badandy400 has taken it upon himself to become the one man Library of Congress for porn with a collection that surely will be in Guinness Book of World Records some day." ~Toadsith~

PU Interview

1-46 of 46 Posts Page 1
 
Thread Nav :  Refresh Page  |   First Post  |   Last Post  |   Porn Forum Home


Home - Sites - Users - Reviews - Comments - Categories - Forum

Contact Us - Announcements - FAQ's - Terms & Rules - Porn Review - Webmasters

Protecting Minors
We are strong supporters of RTA and ICRA, two of the most recognized self labeling organizations. Our site is properly labeled to assist in the protection of minors accessing inappopriate content. For information about filtering tools, check this site.

DISCLAIMER: ALL MODELS APPEARING ON THIS WEBSITE ARE 18 YEARS OR OLDER.

To report child pornography, go directly to ASACP!  We're proud to be a corporate sponsor.
Have concerns or questions about porn addiction?  We recommend this helpful resource.

Copyright © 2007 Ranks.com, Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.


Loaded in 0.03 seconds.